Important Changes Regarding Our Service
As of June 10, 2016, my Amazon.com affiliate account has been shut down. I depended on Amazon's affiliate program to monetize this site. The affiliate revenue was enough to allow me to leave my 9 to 5 job a few years ago and devote my time to maintaining this site and to my wife and kids.
I know that I use terms like "we" and "our" throughout the site and in email responses when referring to eReaderIQ, but the truth is, it is just my wife and I. This started out as a hobby site, and has turned into so much more: a godsend, a maintenance nightmare, a place where users can find exactly the books they want at a price that they can afford.
eReaderIQ has become my life. I have no intentions of shutting the doors unless I am left with no other options.
I will spend this summer trying to find other ways to monetize this site. If my attempts over the next few months do not work, then, and only then, will I look into making eReaderIQ a subscription-based service.
If it does come to that, the site will remain free to browse, and a free tier will be offered for light-duty users with small Watch Lists. I do not know what I would charge, but it would not be too much.
But, for now, I hope it does not come to that. I have always liked that eReaderIQ has been a free service, and will do everything in my power to keep it free.
If you have any questions or comments or would like to offer some support, you can do so below.
We thank you for your support and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We will try to make this transition as painless as possible. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this legitimate?
- Unfortunately, yes, it is. We do need to change the way we monetize this site.
Will it cost money to browse eReaderIQ, or just to track books?
- It will always be free to browse eReaderIQ. We may need to charge users who maintain Watch Lists, but those with only a few books or authors on their lists will qualify for the free tier.
When will this happen?
- We will not know for a few months. We need to see if we can monetize the site through other means before we make the decision whether to charge for the service or not.
When will I be charged?
- Currently, we can't charge you. The most personal piece of information eReaderIQ has for any of our users is their email address. We don't know your name, nor do we have your credit card numbers. We can't charge you, so we won't. If we transition into a paid structure, there will be plenty of notice for you to prepare yourself, and we will not charge anyone without their permission.
If I can't afford the paid structure, what can I do about my lists?
- Currently, you can export your Price Drop Watch list using the "Export" button on the Price Drop Watch List page. If we do go to a paid structure, we will offer a facility where you can download all of your tracking information for free.
How much should I donate?
- You are not required to donate. If you can afford a small donation, most users have donated $5 to $10. I would never ask that you give more than you can afford. Donations have ranged from $1 to $100.
Will my donation be applied to my membership when you move to a paid structure?
- We hope we never have to go to a paid structure. If we do, donations will not be applied by default. If you remind us of your donation with a PayPal Transaction ID, we will happily apply it to future subscriptions.
PayPal will not process my donation?
- There have been a few issues, primarily with non-US currency. If this is the case, you can can send support via PayPal directly to support [at] ereaderiq [dot] com